Last date of Submission of Application forms: 22-06-2012
Introduction: The traditional education system in Pakistan overlooks the talents of thousands of non-traditional students commonly known as Private Students. Every year a large number of students appear as private students in examinations of different degree programs in Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities. A large number of them fail to qualify the examinations. It is a common observation that quality of private students is not alike the regular students whereas the degrees received by the two are of the same value. In order to enhance the quality of Private Students University of Peshawar has launched Distance Education Program sponsored by HEC. In the initial phase Master Level programs will be offered. The traditional private student system will be gradually phased out and replaced by Distance Education Mode.
In this mode of education the students will be required to attend lectures at the respective Departments (Distance Education Centers) of University of Peshawar two days a month for 9 months (academic year). Lectures will be arranged in the designated centers on 1st Saturday and Sunday for one Batch and 4th Saturday and Sunday of every month for another Batch. Efforts will be made to complete the Course work during the coaching period.
Justification: Private students face different issues which result in lower quality, some of the issues are:
• Most of the private candidates rarely were regular students beyond secondary level of education.
• Most of these students usually are financially poor with less educated parents and come from distant places where facilities are scarce.
• Little help/support is provided by the University i.e. in shape of coaching or guidance and in the form of examination.
• Lack of prescribed textbooks and dependency on out dated subject notes.
• Short time available for preparation since they register late in the session.
• The official credibility of degrees obtained by private students is not considered as noble as the degrees awarded to the regular students.
As far as international context of the issue is concerned, registering of private students for examination by the universities at eleventh hour (date of examinations) to pursue a degree does not exist. In the light of the above, the University of Peshawar established Directorate of Distance Education in 2010 to cater to the needs of private students.
Mission: The Mission of the University of Peshawar is to offer opportunities of higher education through distance learning to a large number of desirous students who cannot make it to become regular students at the university due to time and financial constraints as well as to enhance the quality of private students.
The objectives of distance education program are:
– To facilitate private candidates/students who cannot afford the facility of getting education as regular students
– To narrow the quality gap between private and regular students
– To increase the success ratio of private students in the examinations
– To improve the opportunities of employment for private students
Students from all over the Country can apply in any of the Distance Education Programs, provided that they meet the eligibility criteria and are able to attend lectures in respective departments of Peshawar University.
SEPTEMBER 2012 INTAKE
For September Intake, admissions will start in May 22, 2012. The University of Peshawar offers Master programs as well as B.Ed through Distance Education for private students who wish to enhance the quality of their education, as Distance Education provides oppurtunity by class schedules on weekends on the campus in the respective departments..
.Distance Education offers admissions in the following subjects:
01- M.A Arabic
02- M.A English
03- M.Sc Economics
04- M.A International Relations
05- M.A Islamiyat
06- M.A Pashto
07- M.A Persian
08- M.A Philosophy
09- M.A Political Science
10- M.A Urdu
Following conditions must be met for admission in any of the Distance Education Programs.
1. Bachelor Degree in any subject
2. B.A(Political Science) is mandatory for admission in M.A Political Science
– A C.T certificate or its equivalent examination
– B.A/ B.Sc/ B.Th\ B.Sc Home Economics from a recognized university with not less than 2nd Division or M.A/ M.Sc in 2nd Division
-Candidates having qualifications from Universities/ Institutes other than University of Peshawar must provide a Migration Certificate/ N.O.C
– Two years continuous experience after C.T certification (for male candidates only)
– Service Book countersigned by Director Education (colleges) in case of in-service teachers.
– All Candidates must have Permanent Residence in University Jurisdiction
1. Prospectus can be obtained on payment from UBL Bank, University Campus Branch
2. Application forms duly filled in all respects along with required documents should be submitted in the Office of Directorate of Distance Education, Administration Block, and University of Peshawar OR sent by courier service to the address given above.
3. Successful candidates will have to deposit the prescribed fee (Rs. 9,000) on or before the due date in A/C Title = “DISTANCE EDUCATION” Account No. 1486-0037100125, UBL, University Campus Branch, University of Peshawar. Original Deposit Slip of the prescribed fee must be attached with application form.
4. The following documents duly attested by a gazetted officer must be submitted with the complete admission form: –
– Photocopy of Degree
– Part II DMC of the qualifying examination
– Computerized national Identity Card (CNIC)
– Three(3) passport size photographs
Note: Tutorials/Classes will commence as per Time Table suggested by the concerned departments.
The admission fee for the Distance Education Program (Two Year) is Rs. 18,000 per program. For One academic year the fee is Rs. 9,000 which has to be deposited after declation of final merit list.
The prescribed fee can be deposited in UBL, University Campus Branch or any other UBL branch by mentioning the branch code in the deposit slip. The original receipt has to be submitted in the Distance Education Office.
Bank : United Bank Limited (UBL)
Branch Code : 1486
Title of Account : Distance Education
Account No : 1486-0037100125